Happy Thursday! I have been going through old pictures and seeing all of the old pictures of Baron are bittersweet. I loved that sweet angel more than you could know and love looking back on old pictures, but I would be lying if I said I didn't get upset when I look at them. I had to put Baron down June 7,2014. Sad day in Amanda's world.

I got Baron when I was a sophomore in high school. We rescued him from the SPCA. My dad FINALLY agreed to letting us get another dog, and I could pick him out because he would be my dog. We were late getting there and I was so nervous that if we didn't get a dog that trip my dad would change his mind. We arrived about 30 minutes before they closed for the day and they were wheeling back a new litter of puppies. One dog, little did I know would be mine, was the only one standing on his two back feet, watching where they were going. We filled out paperwork and requested to see those puppies. I was going to let the dog choose me. I wasn't going to call the dog or do anything to grab its attention. I was just going to sit there. We picked out the ones we wanted to see and they would bring them back to the observation room one by one. All of Baron's litter mates wanted nothing to do with us. They were smelling around the room and occupied with everything but us humans. The guy brought Baron back and he jumped out of his arms ran right up to us and sat there until we picked him up. SOLD! He was the biggest puppy in his liter and most playful. He was a brown puppy with a white spot on his chest and he had beautiful green eyes. I was in love!
 |
| At the SPCA when I first met Baron. |
 |
| Baron at three months old. How do you think we got him to focus like that? Maybe food! ;-) |
 |
| Baron and Buddy. He wasn't that little for long. |
 |
| Baron would always sneak into the garage and somehow get into his food no matter how we sealed the bag. He loved food. |
We got Baron home and since he was my dog I had to take care of him 100% of the time. If he had an accident in the house I cleaned it up. I got up with him in the mornings. I fed him. I was his primary care-giver. I think that makes you love them more because they are relying on you for their well-being. Baron didn't have a name for about a month because nothing fit him that I liked. I just called him Monster because he indeed was one. Ha! I was at lunch with my friend Ellen who recommended Baron. She read it off a Red Baron pizza box. LOL I didn't like it at first, but Baron was perfect! It was unique and just matched his personality.
Baron and I did everything together. During the summer I would go for a run and then come home and do chores outside while it was still semi-cool. Okay like 90 degrees here in Texas. Baron would lay in the front yard with me while I picked weeds. He would then get annoyed because he wasn't getting all the attention, so he would come and "help" me pull weeds. He would lay right where I was picking them and try to bite the weeds... for a couple of seconds. Ha! He was so over that, so he would run through my pile of weeds and take mouthfuls of them to spread them across the yard. Okay, semi-annoying, but so dang cute at the same time. He was just helping, right??
I literally could type pages on pages on pages of memories I share that involve Baron. He was my best friend, companion and always there for me. So instead of one super long post, I will break it up over the next year and keep it simple with 10 of my favorite memories with or about him.
 |
| My very favorite picture of Baron and I! |
1. I would get ready to go out, school, basically anything and Baron would lay on the rug in the bathroom. After I was ready to go, I would look at Baron and say,"what do you think??" He would smile at me and wink. He was my biggest fan!!
 |
| I caught him in a yawn. ha! My dino dog! |
2. Baron LOVED the water!! I would take him to Canyon Lake to run up and down the shoreline. He would run for hours and hours at a time. He would stick his entire head under the water and he loved to look for rocks. I tried throwing a ball for him to chase... nope. He would chase the waves, rocks and anything but the ball. He also loved to bite the water coming out of the hose. So funny.
 |
| Playing in the water |
3. Baron was the BEST watchdog. I lived by myself for a couple years in college and I knew I was safe as long as Baron was around. I mean he was an 85 pound lab/catahula mix - big boy! I wouldn't want to mess with him either.
 |
| A girl and her dog. We were two peas in a pod. |
4. Baron would kick his feet like a total weirdo after he went to the bathroom. If you have a dog that does this you know what I am talking about. Here's the thing though... most dogs do it a little bit, Baron would cause a dust storm kicking up the grass/dirt around him. I would die laughing every time! When my Aunt Amy would join us on a walk he would always kick grass or dirt on her. If only I had a video of this and you all could laugh with me.
 |
| He thought he was a lap dog... key word thought! |
5. Baron LOVED walks. He would get really excited and jump on you like he was giving you a hug. He would act so crazy I could barely put his harness and leash on him. Then he would walk me down the street until he got tired and then I would walk him! ;-)
 |
| On a walk. Love this picture! |
 |
| Ellie, Reno and Baron all on a walk. Yes, I was the one that walked them. |
6. Baron was a snuggle bunny. When I wasn't feeling good or was upset guess who was laying right next to me or trying to climb on my lamp? Baron. He was so in tune with my emotions and would always comfort me or celebrate with me. He also loved to dance with me. He would sit there and just watch me dance around the house or he would jump up for me to hold his arms. Y'all, he was the best.
 |
| He would always sleep with his head off his bed. |
 |
| Dancing in the kitchen |
7. I think a bird dive bombed Baron one time. Birds were notorious for slamming into the windows in the house I lived in college. I guess my windows were just that clean - ha! ;-) But when a bird would smash into the window or one would fly under the covered porch, Baron would run into his dog house and look out as if we was really scared or under attack. I know it sounds terrible, but it was really funny to watch. But you better believe that if I saw a bird trying to get him I would be outside with a broom shooing it off.
 |
| He was locked in on a couple of deer across the river. |
8. We used to say that Baron would haul ass when he was really excited because he would get really low, scoot his butt under him and run around like a crazy person. Hysterical.
 |
| This is after his bath one day. He loved water, but HATED baths. |
9. Baron was the best thing to come home to. It didn't matter if I was gone for 15 minutes or a couple of days (someone watched him) he was excited to see me. He would jump up and wrap his arms around my waist to give me a hug and kiss my face. His tail would wag and it was a weapon I tell ya! I can't tell you how many times my legs took a beating from his tail - ha!
 |
| One day I was packing and Baron got in my suitcase. I guess he wanted to go. |
 |
| I was doing laundry all day and when the basket was finally empty he got in it. Okay, got the hint, no more laundry. |
10. Baron was such an obedient dog. He was so well-behaved and was a total pleaser. He was full of personality and seemed more like a human than a dog. He was my best friend and I loved him very much. Everyone says he loved me the same right back. I agree. :-)
 |
| My sweetheart! |
 |
| Baron snuggling with his babies |
 |
| Sometimes you just need puppy snuggles. |
 |
| My Baron and I at the lake. |
I miss my sweet Baron so much and always will. I know they say it gets easier with time, but it is just so tough. He has been on my mind a lot lately and know that God does everything for a reason. Rest in peace my sweet angel. I know you are watching over me now. I can feel him around me sometimes and it is really nice and comforting. I know he is watching over Ava, too. He was one of the best dogs I ever had.
If you have or had pets, what are your favorite memories?
Love,
AB
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to come to my blog and share some love! I always enjoy reading your comments and they always make my day a little bit brighter! Thanks for stopping by!