Thursday, October 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Learning How To Ride A Bike

Happy Thursday! Today is another gorgeous day! I hope this weather is here to stay for a while. I hope my throwback story makes you laugh as much as it makes me laugh.

Learning how to ride a bike can be quite the challenge. I mean balancing yourself, peddling and not falling off is a tall order for a little kid. I was about four years old. My dad and family friend, Rick, were going to teach me how to ride my bike. My dad and I would go on bike rides around the neighborhood, but I would sit in the chair thing attached to his bike. I was decked out in a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads. I was ready to go. I had a bike with tassels on the handle bars.  I am sure it was pink and purple, because purple was my favorite color at the time. I tried to convince my parents to buy a purple car. ha! Total girl move! Anyway, there is a big parking lot across the street from the house I grew up in, so that is where the learning would take place.

My dad would hold the seat and get me started. He would run along the side of the bike with me, until I looked comfortable enough to do it on my own. Well every time he let go I would lean one way and either fall off the bike or just stop. My dad was getting frustrated with me because he thought I wasn't trying. (I am very thankful for his frustrated moments because he has pushed me to do many things I never wanted to try. For example, teaching me how to water-skiing, which is now one of my favorite things to do.) He told me,"Amanda, if you don't start trying I am going to whip your butt and take you home." Most kids would not want this to happen, so I continued to try. I ended up getting so dang frustrated I got off my bike, went up to my dad with tear-filled eyes and told him," Daddy, just whip my butt and take me home!"

My dad just laughed and said a couple encouraging words and we went home. We would try learning how to ride a bike another time. The funny thing is I thought getting by butt spanked was better than learning how to ride a bike. I did eventually learn how to ride a bike and ended up teaching cycle classes in college.

Kids are so dang funny with the things they say and their thought processes. I don't know how my dad kept it together. I would have peed myself laughing if a kid told me that, but I guess it is different when it is your kid. I have heard this story many times and yes, they have it on home video.

I hope you have a fantastic day! Stay happy, healthy and positive!


Nothing like a "cool kid" throwback picture!  

Love, 

AB




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to come to my blog and share some love! I always enjoy reading your comments and they always make my day a little bit brighter! Thanks for stopping by!

 
Blogger Template by DESIGNER BLOGS