Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

For starters, this recipe turned out WAY better than I expected and I was already looking forward to my lunch the next day while I was eating dinner. I saw many variations on Pinterest, so I combined a couple to come up with the one I made.



Ingredients: 

1 large spaghetti squash
2 big handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
4-6 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 lbs. of ground sausage (you could use ground turkey or beef)
2 cups of mozzarella cheese, split into 1 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup
A decent amount of olive oil (I didn't measure, but I would guess 2-3 tablespoons)
Salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning (I use a lot of spices when I cook, so I just poured in a generous amount.)
1 clove of garlic or some garlic powder (I forgot to add the fresh garlic, so I opted for garlic powder.) 

Directions: 

Turn your oven on to 350.

Cook your spaghetti squash however you desire. I am not patient enough to cook it in the oven, so I cut it in half, scoop out all of the seeds (a metal ice cream scooper works like a charm), place it face down in a microwave safe dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover with plastic wrap and cook 7-10 minutes. Bam. done.

While your spaghetti squash is cooking, start cooking your sausage.

Once the first half of your spaghetti squash is done cooking, take it out of the microwave (be careful it is hot!) and start cooking the second half of the squash.

Don't forget to check on your sausage. Ground it up and keep mixing it around. You want it to be fully cooked. Once it is cooked, I turn the heat down low to keep it warm and continue to mix it.

Take a fork and start scrapping out the squash that is cooked. Place it in a big bowl.

Add your olive oil, spices, garlic, salt and pepper to the bowl.

Chop your tomatoes, spinach and basil. Add it to the bowl. (Yes, they are uncooked. They will cook from the heat of the squash, sausage and once you put it in the oven.)

Once the second half of the squash is done cooking, do the same as you did with the first one. Take your fork and scrap out the squash.

Add your sausage to the bowl. Mix together well.

Add 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and mix well.

Pour into a greased dish. I used a 11X9 dish.

Top with the remaining cheese. Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

Take out, and enjoy!!!

I hope you like it as much as we did! As always, I believe in making a recipe your own. If you can't have a certain ingredient or want to make changes, please do. If you make any changes that turn out good, please share.

Have a great day and happy cooking!!

Love,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to come to my blog and share some love! I always enjoy reading your comments and they always make my day a little bit brighter! Thanks for stopping by!

 
Blogger Template by DESIGNER BLOGS