January 1,2015
Steps: 7,637
Miles: 4.48
If you guessed that we stayed in bed most of the day, you are correct!! We slept in until noon. Like not move, hair a wreck when you get up, feeling totally rejuvenated sleep. Oh it was awesome and totally needed. Jake and I got dressed and went to Beer Authority for lunch and met up with Ian. I got a salad and Jake got a burger. Okay, they have the best fries EVER! I don't know if they tasted so good because I was so hungry or the fact that fries are the best side to a salad (please tell me I am not the only one!!), but they were incredible. We hung out and watched some of the games while visiting. We were all kind of out of it and tired, so it was a nice relaxing lunch. The weather outside was really gross, cold and rainy so after lunch we went back to our hotel to take a nap and watch more TV. I think we slept for three or more hours.
Ian met us at the hotel for drinks around 5:30-6ish. I had some chips and salsa and a sprite. I was feeling shaky and a little nauseated. I think my blood sugar was getting too low. It happens from time to time. The salsa was great and the unmistakable Picante. Texans know Picante. Ha!
We met everyone for dinner in China Town. It was good, but honestly the food wasn't any better than the Chinese food I have in Texas. It was totally strange because they had whole ducks hanging in the windows. Everyone was selling stuff and I didn't need to be spending any extra money since we got the hotel for the rest of the days, so I resisted and am still very proud of myself for not buying anything. Trust me it was tough!
After dinner, we took the subway to the comedy show. We were on the subway and a homeless man (easily 300 lbs. and over 6'5) came onto the subway. He had a blanket wrapped around his back with a sign on the front of his body. He started singing,"Will somebody help me? A little change please!" Y'all. Freaking funny! I started quietly giggling behind Jake, which ALWAYS makes it funnier. He kept shaking his change cup at everyone. Weird, but really funny and totally random!
We got to the stop closest to the comedy club. Jake got the tickets on the second day we were there. It was really funny! Some comedians were absolutely hysterical and others weren't that funny. Overall, it was a great show. There was a two drink minimum and the drinks were half price before the show. We got there and went to order drinks, but the girl said she would take our order at the table. Well it took forever for us to order and then forever to get the drinks. Jake went to the bar twice before the show to place our order since they were SUPPOSED to be half off. Well we go to pay and she says she can't separate the check. Huh? You can't or you don't want to?? It just keeps things simple. Well we just wrote next to each drink the initials and then added the tax and tip that was already added. So the drinks we thought were half off, weren't. She said that you have to get your drinks before you go into the room. Excuse me. I was really annoyed because Jake tried to get drinks before hand and they told him to go back to his seat and they would seat him. One of our friends was paying with cash and the girl told them they didn't have any change. WHAT? Really?? Anyway, we paid and left and will probably never go back because paying at the end was such a nightmare. How do you not have change and cannot break up the check?!
Jake and I rode the subway back with everyone else, but got off a stop earlier. It was the correct stop for everyone, but they stayed on and went to another one. We walked back to the hotel, took our shoes off and started getting ready for bed. I was talking to Jake and this is how our conversation went.
Me: "I am not a subway girl. I feel like I am going to get an STD just by being in there. They are so dirty."
Jake: "haha! You won't get an STD... you'll get a S-T-U-D."
So funny! I was laughing so hard and kept telling him how clever he was. That man is too funny I tell ya'! We shortly went to bed after because the next day was going to be a long one.
January 2, 2015
Steps: 7,637
Miles: 4.48
If you guessed that we stayed in bed most of the day, you are correct!! We slept in until noon. Like not move, hair a wreck when you get up, feeling totally rejuvenated sleep. Oh it was awesome and totally needed. Jake and I got dressed and went to Beer Authority for lunch and met up with Ian. I got a salad and Jake got a burger. Okay, they have the best fries EVER! I don't know if they tasted so good because I was so hungry or the fact that fries are the best side to a salad (please tell me I am not the only one!!), but they were incredible. We hung out and watched some of the games while visiting. We were all kind of out of it and tired, so it was a nice relaxing lunch. The weather outside was really gross, cold and rainy so after lunch we went back to our hotel to take a nap and watch more TV. I think we slept for three or more hours.
Ian met us at the hotel for drinks around 5:30-6ish. I had some chips and salsa and a sprite. I was feeling shaky and a little nauseated. I think my blood sugar was getting too low. It happens from time to time. The salsa was great and the unmistakable Picante. Texans know Picante. Ha!
We met everyone for dinner in China Town. It was good, but honestly the food wasn't any better than the Chinese food I have in Texas. It was totally strange because they had whole ducks hanging in the windows. Everyone was selling stuff and I didn't need to be spending any extra money since we got the hotel for the rest of the days, so I resisted and am still very proud of myself for not buying anything. Trust me it was tough!
After dinner, we took the subway to the comedy show. We were on the subway and a homeless man (easily 300 lbs. and over 6'5) came onto the subway. He had a blanket wrapped around his back with a sign on the front of his body. He started singing,"Will somebody help me? A little change please!" Y'all. Freaking funny! I started quietly giggling behind Jake, which ALWAYS makes it funnier. He kept shaking his change cup at everyone. Weird, but really funny and totally random!
We got to the stop closest to the comedy club. Jake got the tickets on the second day we were there. It was really funny! Some comedians were absolutely hysterical and others weren't that funny. Overall, it was a great show. There was a two drink minimum and the drinks were half price before the show. We got there and went to order drinks, but the girl said she would take our order at the table. Well it took forever for us to order and then forever to get the drinks. Jake went to the bar twice before the show to place our order since they were SUPPOSED to be half off. Well we go to pay and she says she can't separate the check. Huh? You can't or you don't want to?? It just keeps things simple. Well we just wrote next to each drink the initials and then added the tax and tip that was already added. So the drinks we thought were half off, weren't. She said that you have to get your drinks before you go into the room. Excuse me. I was really annoyed because Jake tried to get drinks before hand and they told him to go back to his seat and they would seat him. One of our friends was paying with cash and the girl told them they didn't have any change. WHAT? Really?? Anyway, we paid and left and will probably never go back because paying at the end was such a nightmare. How do you not have change and cannot break up the check?!
Jake and I rode the subway back with everyone else, but got off a stop earlier. It was the correct stop for everyone, but they stayed on and went to another one. We walked back to the hotel, took our shoes off and started getting ready for bed. I was talking to Jake and this is how our conversation went.
Me: "I am not a subway girl. I feel like I am going to get an STD just by being in there. They are so dirty."
Jake: "haha! You won't get an STD... you'll get a S-T-U-D."
So funny! I was laughing so hard and kept telling him how clever he was. That man is too funny I tell ya'! We shortly went to bed after because the next day was going to be a long one.
January 2, 2015
Steps: 18,742
Miles: 9.49
Miles: 9.49
Jake and I woke up around 7 because we were meeting everyone at 8 to got to the Statue of Liberty. We had the complimentary breakfast provided by the hotel. We were running a tad bit late, so we scarfed it down and headed out. We met up with everyone at the apartment and walked to the subway. We rode the subway to southern tip of Manhattan. Everyone had bought tickets for the Statue of Liberty the day before, so Jake and I were buying the tickets on our phone. We got there and picked up our tickets at will-call. While we were waiting for everyone I bought the tickets for the 9/11 memorial. You have to make reservations ahead of time, so we scheduled it for 3pm. We figured this would give us plenty of time to see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and have lunch before we went.
Well Ian was getting irritated that we were doing this. He wanted to go to the Empire State Building. We had talked about doing all of these activities together because they are all in the same general area for the entire week. Jake was getting irritated at everyone's indecisiveness, and told everyone,"We are going to the 9/11 memorial at 3. If you want to join us, great and if not then we'll meet up with you later."
Come to find out, Ian was being pissy because the girl he met on NYE was going to the Empire State Building at 3. Well... go there. There is no rule that said he had to go with us. He decided to go with us, but was in a semi-bad mood the rest of the time. We got in line for the ferry and went through security. It was the same type of security screening you go through at the airport.
Well Ian was getting irritated that we were doing this. He wanted to go to the Empire State Building. We had talked about doing all of these activities together because they are all in the same general area for the entire week. Jake was getting irritated at everyone's indecisiveness, and told everyone,"We are going to the 9/11 memorial at 3. If you want to join us, great and if not then we'll meet up with you later."
Come to find out, Ian was being pissy because the girl he met on NYE was going to the Empire State Building at 3. Well... go there. There is no rule that said he had to go with us. He decided to go with us, but was in a semi-bad mood the rest of the time. We got in line for the ferry and went through security. It was the same type of security screening you go through at the airport.
We got on the ferry and went to the top. It would have the best views and on a windy day the ride would be a little rough. I know if I have air blowing in my face I am less likely to get motion sickness. The ferry blew it's horn and we left the dock. Okay, I thought a little wind would blow in our face. Yeah, no. It was freezing up there! We tried to take pictures and it was really hard to keep my eyes open because they were watering up. You're welcome for funny pictures!
First stop was the Statue of Liberty. The tickets to go to the crown were unavailable until mid January, so we opted for pictures at the base. It was neat to see, but we were all so cold we were ready to go to Ellis Island. We waited in the little store for everyone and warmed up a little. It was so cold on the island.

Next we got back on the ferry to go to Ellis Island. It was so cool! That is where millions of immigrants came into this country. The history and displays there are quite incredible. We saw the rooms they would go to for a medical check and where they would wait in line to become a citizen. I could of spent hours and hours in there. We got back on the ferry and headed back to Battery Park.
Once we got back, we were all starving and wanted lunch. Everyone voted on Subway, so we went there. Again it was totally crowded, so Jake and I took our food outside to a "park" near by. It was a little area blocked off with benches, a gravel walkway and a water fountain thing. It was nice to have a little picnic with Jake.
After lunch, we walked to the 9/11 memorial because it was getting close to 3, our reservation time. We walked by the pools and took pictures. Wow. Absolutely breathtaking. We went to the kiosk to get our tickets. We could of just kept them on our phone, but I wanted the ticket as a souvenir. We got in line. The lady was telling us that they were 30 minutes behind schedule and we would be in line for a while. Since this was the main thing we wanted to do while in New York, we had no problem waiting. The people watching was fun and interesting and the time passed pretty quick. We walked into the museum and wow. It was beautiful. There were beautiful dark cherry hardwood floors, the lightning was dim and the vibe was one you have to be there to describe it.
We walked around. There was so much to look at. They had the steel beams that the planes hit, missing people posters, burned up firetrucks and so much more. You can walk around and see the artifacts and then there is an exhibit that is the same square footage as one of the twin towers. Huge! There are over 10,000 artifacts. I wish I would have gone in there first because that is where I would have spent most of my time. There were pictures, audio of people leaving voicemails for their loved ones (tear jerker), clothes, shoes, posters, pictures, etc. Basically anything you could think of from that day was there. They also had a section dedicated to the 2003 bombing. It was such a tribute to the people that lost their life that day. It still gives me the chills to think about being there and all that I saw. It was so neat and I highly recommend it if you are in New York.
It was around 7:30 and we were trying to get everyone together so we could leave. We were tired and hungry. I could have stayed in there longer, but my tummy was saying otherwise. We all left and were in search of a place for dinner. We ended up going to this diner close by. It was pretty good. I had chili and Jake had a grilled cheese, salad and tomato soup (his favorite meal). We all hung out and it was really good to just sit, eat good food and enjoy everyone's company.
After dinner, we went to a liquor store (some people wanted alcohol to pre-game) and then we took the subway back. We were trying to get a ticket and the machine wasn't taking our credit cards. We asked a lady that was sweeping the floor and she was so rude! She said it was our cards and definitely not the machines and that we needed to call our credit card companies. How on Earth is it our cards when we tried three different cards from three different banks and all were different types of credit cards?! I was so irritated. There is no need to be that rude! We ended up paying cash for our tickets and got through the turn-styles.
Here's the thing, the New York subway system is confusing as all get out. This train goes here, that train goes there and they are really tough to understand. Well we thought we needed to get on one train and that train never came. So the other train we could have got on came and went multiple times. We finally got on it and then the discussion of where to get off. Jake said 42nd Street/Port Authority and that is where we got off. Everyone else stayed on and went to another stop. We got off on the right one for everyone, but oh well. We walked to the hotel and once we got to our room Jake helped me take off my boots and I took a shower. I was cold, tired and ready for bed. There was talk that Ian, Ronnie and Marcie wanted to go out, but everyone else didn't.
I laid down for bed and Jake went out with them. He went to the apartment to pre-game and then went out after. The girl Ian met on NYE was at one bar, but instead of just meeting her there he told he to go to the bar they were going to. Wrong move, Ian! Always go to the girl! She doesn't need to be walking around NY late at night trying to find a certain bar. They ended up going to the bar around 2 am. In Texas that is when our bars close, not in NY though... try 4 am. It truly is the city that never sleeps. Jake said they had a lot of fun and it was so good catching up with them. Most of them got really drunk. Jake got home, showered and got in bed.
We had one full day left. What were we going to do?? Stay tuned for more tomorrow in the next recap!
First stop was the Statue of Liberty. The tickets to go to the crown were unavailable until mid January, so we opted for pictures at the base. It was neat to see, but we were all so cold we were ready to go to Ellis Island. We waited in the little store for everyone and warmed up a little. It was so cold on the island.
Next we got back on the ferry to go to Ellis Island. It was so cool! That is where millions of immigrants came into this country. The history and displays there are quite incredible. We saw the rooms they would go to for a medical check and where they would wait in line to become a citizen. I could of spent hours and hours in there. We got back on the ferry and headed back to Battery Park.
Once we got back, we were all starving and wanted lunch. Everyone voted on Subway, so we went there. Again it was totally crowded, so Jake and I took our food outside to a "park" near by. It was a little area blocked off with benches, a gravel walkway and a water fountain thing. It was nice to have a little picnic with Jake.
After lunch, we walked to the 9/11 memorial because it was getting close to 3, our reservation time. We walked by the pools and took pictures. Wow. Absolutely breathtaking. We went to the kiosk to get our tickets. We could of just kept them on our phone, but I wanted the ticket as a souvenir. We got in line. The lady was telling us that they were 30 minutes behind schedule and we would be in line for a while. Since this was the main thing we wanted to do while in New York, we had no problem waiting. The people watching was fun and interesting and the time passed pretty quick. We walked into the museum and wow. It was beautiful. There were beautiful dark cherry hardwood floors, the lightning was dim and the vibe was one you have to be there to describe it.
We walked around. There was so much to look at. They had the steel beams that the planes hit, missing people posters, burned up firetrucks and so much more. You can walk around and see the artifacts and then there is an exhibit that is the same square footage as one of the twin towers. Huge! There are over 10,000 artifacts. I wish I would have gone in there first because that is where I would have spent most of my time. There were pictures, audio of people leaving voicemails for their loved ones (tear jerker), clothes, shoes, posters, pictures, etc. Basically anything you could think of from that day was there. They also had a section dedicated to the 2003 bombing. It was such a tribute to the people that lost their life that day. It still gives me the chills to think about being there and all that I saw. It was so neat and I highly recommend it if you are in New York.
It was around 7:30 and we were trying to get everyone together so we could leave. We were tired and hungry. I could have stayed in there longer, but my tummy was saying otherwise. We all left and were in search of a place for dinner. We ended up going to this diner close by. It was pretty good. I had chili and Jake had a grilled cheese, salad and tomato soup (his favorite meal). We all hung out and it was really good to just sit, eat good food and enjoy everyone's company.
After dinner, we went to a liquor store (some people wanted alcohol to pre-game) and then we took the subway back. We were trying to get a ticket and the machine wasn't taking our credit cards. We asked a lady that was sweeping the floor and she was so rude! She said it was our cards and definitely not the machines and that we needed to call our credit card companies. How on Earth is it our cards when we tried three different cards from three different banks and all were different types of credit cards?! I was so irritated. There is no need to be that rude! We ended up paying cash for our tickets and got through the turn-styles.
Here's the thing, the New York subway system is confusing as all get out. This train goes here, that train goes there and they are really tough to understand. Well we thought we needed to get on one train and that train never came. So the other train we could have got on came and went multiple times. We finally got on it and then the discussion of where to get off. Jake said 42nd Street/Port Authority and that is where we got off. Everyone else stayed on and went to another stop. We got off on the right one for everyone, but oh well. We walked to the hotel and once we got to our room Jake helped me take off my boots and I took a shower. I was cold, tired and ready for bed. There was talk that Ian, Ronnie and Marcie wanted to go out, but everyone else didn't.
I laid down for bed and Jake went out with them. He went to the apartment to pre-game and then went out after. The girl Ian met on NYE was at one bar, but instead of just meeting her there he told he to go to the bar they were going to. Wrong move, Ian! Always go to the girl! She doesn't need to be walking around NY late at night trying to find a certain bar. They ended up going to the bar around 2 am. In Texas that is when our bars close, not in NY though... try 4 am. It truly is the city that never sleeps. Jake said they had a lot of fun and it was so good catching up with them. Most of them got really drunk. Jake got home, showered and got in bed.
We had one full day left. What were we going to do?? Stay tuned for more tomorrow in the next recap!
Love,
Amanda
Amanda





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to come to my blog and share some love! I always enjoy reading your comments and they always make my day a little bit brighter! Thanks for stopping by!