December 28,2014
Steps: 21,570
Miles: 10.59
Since day one was a wash, we were going to get out and enjoy the city. We were going to go to this bagel place I found on yelp, but it was about 10 blocks away so we decided to go somewhere closer. Since we slept so much the day before we were all starving. The place we were going to go to looked packed, so we went to this place on the corner called Gourmet New York. I wish we would have waited in line for the original place because it was not good. It was food, but not very good food. It was really blan and didn't taste very fresh.
After breakfast, we decided to walk to Bryant Park, but we wanted to see Times Square on the way there. We saw people dressed up and there were people everywhere. We went and we saw. Next stop was Bryant Part. I read somewhere that is a hilly, beautiful park. It is pretty, but it is not hilly. It is a small area of shops and an ice-skating ring. We walked around and then decided we were going to go to Central Park and just explore.
Well let's just say I am not the best with directions and was nominated as the navigator for the day, so we got a little lost going to Central Park. Instead of walking a couple blocks we walked to Pier 81. HA! I was just walking towards the area where there weren't any sky scrappers. Oops. It was really cool because we got to see this Navy ship. Jake is such a positive and the cup-is-always-half-full kind of person, so he kept saying,"Look we wouldn't have seen this if you wouldn't have got us lost." I love that man!
Jake is OBSESSED with the show How I Met Your Mother. Obsessed y'all. A bar called McGee's is the bar they used in the show, so we had to go there. We had drinks, HIMYM inspired, and appetizers. They were really good, but the guys didn't think the overall experience at the bar lived up to their expectations.
We got bundled up and made our way to Central Park and walked around. It is such a peaceful place. The trees, bridges, rocks, walkways. I love it! After Central Park, we were starving and ready for dinner. We had leftovers from the greek place the night before. It was good, but I wanted more. We had walked so much and I was still hungry.
We made reservations for a piano bar called Don't Tell Mama. It was such a fun place! There was a guy singing at the piano and the waitress' and waiters would sing too! They sung everything from show tunes to oldies to today's hits. I ordered a cheese pizza because I was starving. A girl's gotta eat!
We met these Australian girls that were sitting next to us. Jake was being Ian's wingman because Ian was the only single one in the group. One of the girls was crushing hardcore, but then her friend stepped in started flirting with him more. It was totally awkward because the girls would just stare at me. Huh?? It was uncomfortable to the point where I would look behind me to see what they were looking at. One of the girls was German and was saying something and Jake couldn't understand her so he said in a German accent,"Yea or Nine!!"
We were also sitting next to an older gentleman and his wife. Little did we know he would be singing that night. He sang a couple of songs and we got to visit with them. They were such a cute old couple that lived in a town close to Brookelyn that loved to travel. His wife told me that everywhere they go he sings. Too cute! We had so much fun and the singers were good and quite funny. We decided to head back to the apartment, showered and crashed.
December 29,2014
Steps: 26,639
Miles: 13.1
A new day, another adventure! We slept in until 10:30ish and by time we all got ready it was lunch time. We went to Subway for lunch and started our trek to Wall Street. It was an hour and a half walk. Jake and I love seeing a city by walking it, and that is exactly what we did. Not going to lie, half way through I was getting a little grouchy and was semi-over walking, but pulled myself together and snapped out of it.
We walked through the areas of Greenwich, Tribeca, and SoHo. Y'all. So. cute. There were cobbled roads, cute buildings and it had a great vibe. I don't know how to describe the vibe, other than you felt happy walking through those parts of town. New York cracks me up because there are certain areas marked as "parks" that are filled with benches, small patches of grass and concrete. I couldn't live there. I need some fluffy green grass under my feet.
We walked by the 9/11 memorial and Freedom Tower. It gave me chills to be there. Truly beautiful and amazing. The Freedom Tower is huge and hurts your neck to look at. It is a beautiful building and one you must see in person. The pictures simply do not do it justice.
We FINALLY made it to The New York Stock Exchange. The building was beautiful, but it wasn't complete chaos like Hollywood portrays it to be. There were many people taking pictures, selfies (with and without selfie sticks) and admiring the building.
We walked to take a picture with the bull. Everyone was lined up to take pictures with the butt. We just stood to the side. There were people everywhere I tell ya. We walked to Battery Park where you could see the Statue of Liberty in the distance. It was really pretty and there were multiple memorials and statues.
After seeing Wall Street and The New York Stock Exchange we walked to Battery Park. You could see The Statue of Liberty in the distance. There were multiple monuments, statues and things to look at. It was pretty neat. I was getting hungry from all the yummy smells coming from all the food carts.
At this point we had walked many miles, my feet were starting to swell/hurt and I was getting hungry. My feet swelling/hurting wasn't a big deal, but hunger was. I was starving and I will be the first to admit I get very hangry. Total grouch. We started walking back. We walked along the water and were passed by many people jogging, kids playing basketball and playing at the playground. We had to cross the street at one point and ended up walking through the mall for a big portion of our walk... well we thought. It was more of a big circle. There was a skating ring that had a small pile of snow next to it. I ran over made a snow ball and threw it at Jake. Smack! Right on his back! Well then he grabbed one and totally got me back. Ian grabbed two and tried to throw it at us and missed! ha! I wish it would have snowed there because I could have spent an entire day playing in the snow.
We started walking along the water again. Remember it was an hour and a half walk there, so it would be the same walk back. It was starting to get dark and I was so over walking so I requested an Uber. BEST. Decision. Ever!!! We were dropped off right at our apartment. Oh it was so nice. We relaxed at the apartment for a little bit and then headed out to get food. We decided we would have NY-style pizza. We went to a pizza place close to Times Square and got in right at the right time. We sat down and the line multiplied. We ate our pizza and life-slowly creeped back into me.
After dinner we walked to the Rockefeller tree, Radio City Music Hall and to see where the Today Show is. It was insanely crowded. There were people EVERYWHERE! It was semi overwhelming because of all the people, but it was a must see. We got a nice family to take our picture and we took theirs. It was really cool to see it all.
We were walking back to the apartment and wanted to go to a bar to have a couple drinks. We found this bar called Lillie's Victorian Bar and Restaurant. It was such a cool place! The decorations were awesome. It was an old fashioned place, but played today's music. I had a glass of wine and the guys had something else. We hung out there for a little bit and then headed back. Jake is such a goof and was seeing how many steps he had for the day. He was a couple thousand off from 25,000 so he was bound to be apart of the "25,000 Steps a Day Club", so I walked with him until he got it. Next he was less than a mile from walking a half marathon, so he walked around the apartment, down the stairs and up the stairs until he walked a half marathon, 13.1 miles. Such a GOOF!!! After we made our milage for the day, we showered and went to bed. A long day full of activity and many steps taken.
It was another fabulous day in the city that never sleeps! The next day the rest of the group would be arriving, so stay tuned for that!
Love,
Amanda
Steps: 21,570
Miles: 10.59
Since day one was a wash, we were going to get out and enjoy the city. We were going to go to this bagel place I found on yelp, but it was about 10 blocks away so we decided to go somewhere closer. Since we slept so much the day before we were all starving. The place we were going to go to looked packed, so we went to this place on the corner called Gourmet New York. I wish we would have waited in line for the original place because it was not good. It was food, but not very good food. It was really blan and didn't taste very fresh.
After breakfast, we decided to walk to Bryant Park, but we wanted to see Times Square on the way there. We saw people dressed up and there were people everywhere. We went and we saw. Next stop was Bryant Part. I read somewhere that is a hilly, beautiful park. It is pretty, but it is not hilly. It is a small area of shops and an ice-skating ring. We walked around and then decided we were going to go to Central Park and just explore.
Well let's just say I am not the best with directions and was nominated as the navigator for the day, so we got a little lost going to Central Park. Instead of walking a couple blocks we walked to Pier 81. HA! I was just walking towards the area where there weren't any sky scrappers. Oops. It was really cool because we got to see this Navy ship. Jake is such a positive and the cup-is-always-half-full kind of person, so he kept saying,"Look we wouldn't have seen this if you wouldn't have got us lost." I love that man!
Jake is OBSESSED with the show How I Met Your Mother. Obsessed y'all. A bar called McGee's is the bar they used in the show, so we had to go there. We had drinks, HIMYM inspired, and appetizers. They were really good, but the guys didn't think the overall experience at the bar lived up to their expectations.
We got bundled up and made our way to Central Park and walked around. It is such a peaceful place. The trees, bridges, rocks, walkways. I love it! After Central Park, we were starving and ready for dinner. We had leftovers from the greek place the night before. It was good, but I wanted more. We had walked so much and I was still hungry.
We made reservations for a piano bar called Don't Tell Mama. It was such a fun place! There was a guy singing at the piano and the waitress' and waiters would sing too! They sung everything from show tunes to oldies to today's hits. I ordered a cheese pizza because I was starving. A girl's gotta eat!
We met these Australian girls that were sitting next to us. Jake was being Ian's wingman because Ian was the only single one in the group. One of the girls was crushing hardcore, but then her friend stepped in started flirting with him more. It was totally awkward because the girls would just stare at me. Huh?? It was uncomfortable to the point where I would look behind me to see what they were looking at. One of the girls was German and was saying something and Jake couldn't understand her so he said in a German accent,"Yea or Nine!!"
We were also sitting next to an older gentleman and his wife. Little did we know he would be singing that night. He sang a couple of songs and we got to visit with them. They were such a cute old couple that lived in a town close to Brookelyn that loved to travel. His wife told me that everywhere they go he sings. Too cute! We had so much fun and the singers were good and quite funny. We decided to head back to the apartment, showered and crashed.
December 29,2014
Steps: 26,639
Miles: 13.1
A new day, another adventure! We slept in until 10:30ish and by time we all got ready it was lunch time. We went to Subway for lunch and started our trek to Wall Street. It was an hour and a half walk. Jake and I love seeing a city by walking it, and that is exactly what we did. Not going to lie, half way through I was getting a little grouchy and was semi-over walking, but pulled myself together and snapped out of it.
We walked through the areas of Greenwich, Tribeca, and SoHo. Y'all. So. cute. There were cobbled roads, cute buildings and it had a great vibe. I don't know how to describe the vibe, other than you felt happy walking through those parts of town. New York cracks me up because there are certain areas marked as "parks" that are filled with benches, small patches of grass and concrete. I couldn't live there. I need some fluffy green grass under my feet.
We walked by the 9/11 memorial and Freedom Tower. It gave me chills to be there. Truly beautiful and amazing. The Freedom Tower is huge and hurts your neck to look at. It is a beautiful building and one you must see in person. The pictures simply do not do it justice.
We walked to take a picture with the bull. Everyone was lined up to take pictures with the butt. We just stood to the side. There were people everywhere I tell ya. We walked to Battery Park where you could see the Statue of Liberty in the distance. It was really pretty and there were multiple memorials and statues.
After seeing Wall Street and The New York Stock Exchange we walked to Battery Park. You could see The Statue of Liberty in the distance. There were multiple monuments, statues and things to look at. It was pretty neat. I was getting hungry from all the yummy smells coming from all the food carts.
At this point we had walked many miles, my feet were starting to swell/hurt and I was getting hungry. My feet swelling/hurting wasn't a big deal, but hunger was. I was starving and I will be the first to admit I get very hangry. Total grouch. We started walking back. We walked along the water and were passed by many people jogging, kids playing basketball and playing at the playground. We had to cross the street at one point and ended up walking through the mall for a big portion of our walk... well we thought. It was more of a big circle. There was a skating ring that had a small pile of snow next to it. I ran over made a snow ball and threw it at Jake. Smack! Right on his back! Well then he grabbed one and totally got me back. Ian grabbed two and tried to throw it at us and missed! ha! I wish it would have snowed there because I could have spent an entire day playing in the snow.
We started walking along the water again. Remember it was an hour and a half walk there, so it would be the same walk back. It was starting to get dark and I was so over walking so I requested an Uber. BEST. Decision. Ever!!! We were dropped off right at our apartment. Oh it was so nice. We relaxed at the apartment for a little bit and then headed out to get food. We decided we would have NY-style pizza. We went to a pizza place close to Times Square and got in right at the right time. We sat down and the line multiplied. We ate our pizza and life-slowly creeped back into me.
We were walking back to the apartment and wanted to go to a bar to have a couple drinks. We found this bar called Lillie's Victorian Bar and Restaurant. It was such a cool place! The decorations were awesome. It was an old fashioned place, but played today's music. I had a glass of wine and the guys had something else. We hung out there for a little bit and then headed back. Jake is such a goof and was seeing how many steps he had for the day. He was a couple thousand off from 25,000 so he was bound to be apart of the "25,000 Steps a Day Club", so I walked with him until he got it. Next he was less than a mile from walking a half marathon, so he walked around the apartment, down the stairs and up the stairs until he walked a half marathon, 13.1 miles. Such a GOOF!!! After we made our milage for the day, we showered and went to bed. A long day full of activity and many steps taken.
It was another fabulous day in the city that never sleeps! The next day the rest of the group would be arriving, so stay tuned for that!
Love,
Amanda










No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to come to my blog and share some love! I always enjoy reading your comments and they always make my day a little bit brighter! Thanks for stopping by!